We are stupid hero worshipers. Indians in particular are so starved of heroes that even when someone has done some small, stupid fancy act, she is glorified as a God. There was Ramar Pillai who was a god, who converted water to petrol, there was Sathya Sai baba who created gold from air in uncontroled conditions, there was god of sex, there is one small litter who is god of cricket and there is one divorcee lady in Bombay who is God of granting all wishes. This fetish for God hood continues and now we hear ‘ Google is God‘. There are dumbwits ( Scores of them ) who say Google knows everything and has answers for any damn thing in this world. Here is an attempt to demythify, why Google is not the answer. Read on to discover how blindfaith in retail shopping leads to a closed mindset:
7. Vested advertisement interests : Google has strong vested interests in promoting those who buy big advertisements from them. Every youtube video now precedes a sucky advt. you cant get rid of. Most of the advertisements now appear above the search results and if you do not tilt your laptop screens ,sometimes you will be tempted to believe the advt to be the #1 result. The biggest crap companies give is : “Content is different from advertisements “. If it were so, Jimmy Wales would have put advts on wikipedia decades ago. Google has revenue interests now. Its not interested in pointing you to the best seller.
6. Best vendors are not on web : 99.99 % of us do not go beyond the 2nd page of google results. Those 1.8 Bn search results to your keyword search is nothing but the biggest God damn lies. They put any junk , irrelevant result after 4th or 5th page. One of my friends who worked on Bing search told me that when he pointed to Microsoft about junk infesting 5th result page onwards, they laughed and said every one knows this. We dont need to fix this. This result count is just to fool the users. Knowing this you would realize that search engines cover only those vendors who have web presence. A majority of highly efficient sellers just have nondescript presence on web. They are too busy handling volume of buyers to handle web too.
5. Google Search is not social : Lets face the fact , google is getting totally marginalized in the social web era. Its a dinosaur which just doesnt understand social web. (Refer Buzz, G+ ) . In early days, Eric Schmidt abused Zuckerberg on social wave and today it has to pay because Zucks allows Microsoft to access links shared on FB but bans google. Schmidt called Twitter as poor man’s email and later tried to wipe it out by launching Buzz(twitter clone). Goolge had a bloody nose as users thumped its one upmanship leading to death of Buzz. The quality of links picked up by humans is till date far superior than those picked by its ageing Page Rank algos. Its algos are gamed by SEO hacks across the world. Its getting gamed. Google is just putrid and inadequate on social search and doesnt enjoy trust in social web.
4. Too broad : Goes a popular joke amongst techies : There are 2 ways to solve a problem a) the google way by using millions of servers and resources and b) the smart way. Google search results have spread so wide and thin, that most of the general cases its irrelevant and sucky. Now for articles we search wiki. For answers we explore Quora, for news and happenings there is twitter and for best pictures we go to instagram. Why we do this, because they are curated by people and have some focus. I find it a pain getting right content through google.. or may be I do not know how to google
3. Indexing SEO garbage : The rules of appearing on top results in Google are now a common knowledge. There are SEO pimps who will exchange links, there are directories with paid links, the meta tags, the text repitition etc are all known to the gamers. The top result in most non specific cases is not the best page but the page for which people have put in more SEO money.
2 Web Info only : Indexed search can give info on those vendors having proper web footprint only. Less real sellers are their. On 9 out of 10 occasions , I have found one particular seller in Pune selling the Samsung Galaxy for the lowest prices and he doesnt have a web site. The second best seller has a web site but doesnt give you any indication that it charges you least for all branded products. These sellers are doing so well that they dont have to advertise themselves. Great Eastern trading co. in Calcutta is one such example, Alpha in Bombay and Radhika in Pune are other such. How do we get these precious wisdom which is only known to locals ?
1.Not relevant locally : The results on google are in most cases, not locally relevant. Try #Productname Cheapest price #cityname and it would invariably suck. On many occasions I searched for Pune prices and the results were from London , or Philllipines. There is no way Index search can tap into social wisdom of locals. Shopping wisdom is experienced daily by numerous people who are buying, comparing, bargaining, discovering and observing. A dead algorithm written 15 years ago is no solution to this new age problem.
Do write back if you disagree or have any other thoughts on these points. Leaving you with an image sent to us by a reader :