Today, I got a mail from a startup incubator. Its subject line prophesized – “Dare not Sleep Well … till whats in your dreams alone comes to life. ” I was so pissed off with the context that I immediately clicked ” Unsubscribe” from the mailing list. My sense of chagrin started raging high. How can such ridiculous advise can be passed on to youth when you claiming to be a startup incubator. This in my belief is one of the most horrible piece of guidance one can give to entrepreneurs. I have experienced that when we I have not slept well this is my experience during the work day.
- My brain feels like a zombie, I yawn every 4 or five minutes
- I take 3x to 5x times more time to do the same work. I just cant focus.
- I am not able to do any work which requires deep thinking. // At startup , invariably, I need to address very complex issues
- Actually, its loss of one productive day for me as an entrepreneur .
A sleep starved employee
Que1 : What do other successful entrepreneurs think about sleeping well ?
Somedays back, Dharmesh Shah ,a leading entrepreneur in Silicon valley had tweeted – ” The biggest ROI on time for an entrepreneur is : 1 extra hour of sleep”. Also ,there is blog by Terence Chang which tells you about the effect not sleeping well has on your productivity Here you have a mythical advise coming your way. If such idiosyncracies are to be promoted we may have to think loud about the efficacy of icubators. There already is a clamor saying there are too many incubators producing too few results. http://www.xconomy.com/national/2011/08/12/theres-an-incubator-bubble-and-it-will-pop/ . I am worried if this misinformation continues, we may soon feel the need to have UGC or CII or Nasscom regulating or licensing, who can open a startup incubator, mentorship program etc. The myth of not sleeping well is very similar to advise given by quacks to adolescents – “ Dont jack off, it makes your organs go weak ” . As an exception, if you are working in a chopshop or a SWITCH* company on a SHIT ( Stupid n horrible idiotic translation ) project, probably it may work.
We at WiC, encourage all team members to sleep well every night. If you are feeling drowsy, immediately catch a nap on a Bean bag or well laid out mattresses. Do not have droopy eyes in front of a machine.
Que 2 : There are many people with eyes on wall unable to sleep though lying on the bed. How can they sleep faster and better ?
Terence Chang’s blog recommends the following simple steps :
- Write down 5 most important things I have to finished the next day in the order of priority. Don’t list more than 5. You will end with a long list of things that you don’t even be able to do the next day.
- Turn off your computer an hour before you go to bed. So you don’t have excuse to check e-mail after brushing your teeth or putting on your pajama.
- Set alarm 10 minutes before your normal waking up time. So you don’t worry about getting up late.
- Don’t watch TV news. There are too many negative news that will keep you awake.
- Don’t count the sheep! You may lost count and start over again.
- Do stretch exercise to relax your brain.
What is your experience of doing great work when you are heavily deprived and are sleep starved ?
*SWITCH – A term supposedly coined by our friend Faisal Farooqui to collectively define glorified labor arbitragers comprising Satyam, Wipro, Infosys, TCS, Cognijhunt and HCL.